An audience-led approach to
We completed an in-depth discovery process, incorporating quantitative conversion and content analysis, search intent, and user testing to identify areas of improvement for Diabetes UK.
We completed an in-depth discovery process, incorporating quantitative conversion and content analysis, search intent, and user testing to identify areas of improvement for Diabetes UK. The highlight so far has been one sitewide test which led to a 61% increase in donations when compared to the original.
Diabetes UK is leading the fight against the UK's biggest and growing health crisis. By providing knowledge and support as well as funding vital research, the charity's vision is a world where diabetes cannot harm.
They first contacted us with a requirement to increase the number of donations that come through their website.
Key project outcomes
Diabetes UK challenged us to identify the high traffic/high impact areas of Diabetes.org.uk to improve user journeys and increase revenue from key audiences.
The website received lots of traffic, but the conversion rate was low. The objective was to turn browsers into financial supporters while maintaining their engagement with the vital support content on the website.
Since we started working with Fresh Egg, we have been very impressed with their approach to improving the performance of our website – a key initiative for Diabetes UK. Their analysis of the digital challenges we faced enabled them to put together a programme of testing which has not only developed our internal understanding of our current performance but has also led to a number of successes throughout the year which we will continue to build upon in the coming months. The team at Fresh Egg are a fantastic group of responsive, dedicated experts who continue to be a pleasure to work with.Andrew Russell, Head of Individual Giving
The process began with a stakeholder workshop with 20 people from across the charity to analyse existing user journeys.
In the workshop, we ran empathy mapping and journey mapping exercises, which helped us to understand users and their needs better.
Following the workshop, we did search intent research to understand more about how the target audiences were searching in Google. We used this to understand whether existing content met user needs and to inform what additional content users needed to improve their donation journeys.
The process provided us with an opportunity to train the Diabetes UK content team on how to do search intent, and how Google’s Micro-Moments influence queries and change intent.
To validate and challenge the initial research phase, we conducted audience interviews and usability testing with several people who live with diabetes. This allowed us to observe how users interacted with the website to understand their needs, motivations, and concerns when it came to donating or supporting the charity.
The audience interviews gave us a good understanding of user needs and issues, allowing us to conduct an informed heuristic review of important areas of the Diabetes UK website. The output from the review was a set of recommendations for optimisations, content, and A/B tests.
Our creative team produced conceptual designs of new user journeys which we combined with our recommendations and a prioritised A/B test roadmap to form our final report.
We've since put the testing roadmap into action, running A/B tests on several sections of the website with the aim of increasing financial conversions.
The user research phase of this project was crucial for our understanding of what people living with diabetes needed from the website. It was eye-opening and inspiring to talk to people who had raised money for the charity and to find out how they live day-to-day with diabetes. I’m pleased that the initial split tests showed an uplift in vital revenue for the charity.Luke Hay, User Research Director
The discovery work laid a strong foundation for the first set of A/B tests. With insight-backed hypotheses in place, early testing showed a good level of improvement.
The highlight so far has been one sitewide test which led to a 61% increase in donations when compared to the original. Further testing has led to improvements in the user experience, particularly for mobile users.
With another round of split tests proposed, we’re looking forward to continuing to help Diabetes UK improve conversions.
As an uncle of someone who has lived with type 1 diabetes for nearly 20+ years, the charity and this project sits very close to my heart. It was great to combine research across multiple disciplines to provide recommendations that went on to provide a clear uplift in donations for the charity and, ultimately, make a difference to those living with the disease.Lee Colbran, Founder
Talk to us about optimising your website
Tell us your needs and we'll be in touch